Essential oils are the essence of plants or resins. We extract them by various methods like steam distillation or CO2 extraction. They are the main oil components which give aroma to source plant. Due to the volatile nature of essential oil, farmers directly take plants for distillation just after harvesting. After this process, they are sent for oil extraction. The essential oil contains the fragrance and the properties of the plant. Therefore, their properties vary depending upon their botanical families.
The steam distillation process is the most common method for extraction of the essential oils. The other processes of extraction are solvent extraction, absolute extraction, expression, wax embedding, CO2 extraction, and resin tapping. During the distillation process, the plants and its parts are put into an alembic (distillation process) over the water. Due to which we get steam of the plant essence. Oil then collects in the vessel as steam condenses back to liquid form. Even though most of the oils are distilled in a single process. Fractional distillation is more suitable for some oils like Ylang-Ylang essential oil.
Types of Essential oils & their properties
As per N.A.H.A., the most common type of essential oils are Lavender oil, Peppermint oil, Eucalyptus oil, Tea Tree oil, and Clary Sage oil.
These essential oils have medicinal and therapeutic properties. Because of these properties, they are popular across the world for ages. They are likely to assist in the cure of various health problems. Moreover, they are widely used for aromatherapy which induces relaxation. However, you must take caution in using essential oils. Improper usage may cause some harm like allergy or other reactions.
- Using aroma to improve surrounding hygiene
- Spread positivity & energy in the house
- To solve skin-related issues by topical applications
- For hair related problems with massage
- To reduce infections and heal wounds as most are anti-microbes
- Act as a catalyst in the fight against depression & anxiety.
- Add in cleaning products to improve anti-septic properties
- Effective against common illness like cold and cough
- 100% natural product without artificial additives
- Wide range of aromas to choose from.
So you can choose any essential oil whose aroma you like and start incorporating in your life for numerous benefits.