What is Vetiver Essential Oil?
Vetiver Essential Oil extracts through steam distillation of vetiver plant roots.
It is a perennial grass and belongs to grass family (Poaceae family). Moreover, vetiver plant grows up to 1.5 meters. Hence, it has tall stems with thin, rigid and long leaves. The plant has brownish-purple flowers.
Vetiver Oil has exotic woody, earthy, smokey, balsam, and herbaceous strong aroma. It is amber brown and viscous in
It is ideal oil in aromatherapy because it has a calming fragrance. At home, massage it on feet before bedtime. Furthermore, this will promote better sleep and the immune system.
The best quality of oil gets from the roots of 18-24 months old. Furthermore, the characteristics and quality of oil vary depending on the location of the grass grown. The climate and soil also have a vital role in their characteristics.
Roots of vetiver plants are dug up, cleaned and dried. Then roots are chopped and cleaned before the steam distillation process. Distillation process for vetiver oil takes around 1 day (24 hours). This process separates essential oil and hydrosol. Through this, the vetiver essential oil is skimmed off. Further, it is allowed to age for a few months. It is noteworthy to know that the fragrance of Vetiver essential oil improves with aging.
Components of Vetiver Oil are Beta-vetivone, Khusimene, Vetiselinenol, Khusimol, Isovalencenol, khusimone, Delta-Selinene, alpha-vetivone, Cyclocopacamphan-12-ol (epimers A and B) and Beta-Vetivone.
Major producers of vetiver include India, Indonesia, Haiti, Reunion (France). However,
Main properties of Vetiver essential oil are antifertility, anti-biofilm, anti-vector, insect-repellent, antidiabetic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-Melanogenesis. Hence, they are widely used for medicinal purposes and in beauty products.
Benefits of Vetiver Oil
Vetiver oil is termite repellent.
Vetiver oil has long-lasting effectiveness. Above all, it has the ability to control mosquitoes larvae which is responsible for various diseases. These diseases are malaria, dengue, yellow fever, etc. Some people use vetiver Essential oil to kill lice on the scalp and act as pest killer because it is non-toxic.
Vetiver Essential oil enhances skin health.
It is cicatrizant. Therefore, it speeds up the eradication of scars and other skin marks. It has the power to heal any scar by regenerating skin and tissue.
Even it is excellent as anti-aging oil. Hence, it vanishes the spots of chicken pox and sign of acne. Even it is a natural home remedy to treat stretch marks. caused because of childbirth and some skin disorders.
Vetiver Essential oil soothes anxiety.
Vetiver Essential oil has an ability to relax and manage mental health. The stress, tension, anxiety, sleep disorder, depression causes various skin and mental problems. Therefore, nowadays people started using it in aromatherapy. Various studies
( Note: Diazepam is a medication which treats stress, trauma, anxiety, and other medical conditions. )
Vetiver Essential oil treats depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
It is antiseptic, immune stimulating, antispasmodic, warming, a sedative to the nervous system. Furthermore, it stimulates blood circulation. Hence, it calms and balances the mind.
Vetiver Essential in medicines.
Since thousand years, vetiver essential oil is a core ingredient in Ayurvedic medicines. It is found in studies, that vetiver essential oil treats children who are suffering from ADHD. As the calming effect of oil helps children to combat their ADHD.
Vetiver Essential oil enhances sexual desire.
Loss of sex drive is driven by physical stress and mental anxiety. So, we have vetiver essential oil to solve this problem. Vetiver essential oil is an effective sedative and soothing agent. It controls cortisol and testosterone at the time of stress and anxiety. This leads to the relaxation of your body and mind. It enhances sexual desire naturally.
( Note: To increase testosterone, it is necessary to have enough sleep and at the right time. )
Vetiver Essential oil treats menstrual cramps.
It has an estrogen-like effect. So, besides increasing testosterone level in mind, it also balances female hormones. And even it strengthens the female reproductive system. It helps in treating menstrual issues like cramps, fatigue, bloating, mood swings, breast tenderness, etc. Therefore, it is not wrong to call vetiver essential oil to be the natural remedy for PMS discomforts.
Vetiver oil reduces muscle pain and joint stiffness.
It stimulates blood flow and prevents muscle pain because it has anti-inflammatory and analgesic property. Inhaling of steam reduces swelling and pain concluded in research studies. It treats joint pain and recommended by doctors.
Other Benefits of Vetiver Essential oil are:
- To enhances flavor in beverages such as tea, sorbets, etc.
- In the manufacturing of perfumes, room fresheners, soaps, cosmetics, oil because of its aromatic effect.
- Vetiver Oil has antiseptic property. Therefore, it has an ability to give relief from inflammation. In fact, Vetiver Oil develops new tissues and heals wounds.
- It rejuvenates the body and enhances the immune system.
How to use Vetiver Essential Oil?
- Better Immune System: Add few drops of Vetiver oil in tea or hot drinks during winter or in cold drinks in summer.
- Relaxation: Apply Vetiver oil on feet to get better sleep. Even a warm bath with few drops can provide you relaxation. It boasts a calming effect on the mind because of its fragrance. So, place oil on the wrists, chest or neck for better results.
- Skin Related Issues: Apply Vetiver Oil with Coconut Oil on the affected area of skin. It eliminates any skin sensitivity. Even you can add in body soap or lotion.
- Insomnia: Use Vetiver essential oil as a diffuser. It enhances and gives better sleep.
- Blood Purifier: Soak clean Vetiver roots in cooled boiling water for 2-3 hours. Cover the container while root is soaking. This soaked water has a calming effect on the body and purifies the blood.
- Hair Health: Soak vetiver roots in water. Now, apply it on hair to get shiny hair.
Side Effects of Vetiver Essential Oil
Vetiver Oil is completely safe and non-toxic. Thus, it does not cause any irritation. Consumption of Vetiver Oil should be in smaller quantity.
Cautions to Use Vetiver Essential Oil
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Consult Doctor if you are allergic to anything.
- Pregnant women should consult a doctor before using.
- Avoid contact with eyes, sensitive areas and inner part of the ear.
How to Find Vetiver Essential Oil?
This oil is one of the expensive and rare oil. Therefore, you shouldn’t be fooled by cheap rates in the market. If you need good quality, 100 percent pure essential oil then 100 ml bottle will range from 50$ onwards. This oil is easily available at local health food store or an online store. Even Vetiver Sponge (Loofah-type sponge ) is available at the Ayurvedic shop. This sponge is made up of vetiver roots.
Recommendations to use Vetiver Oil
- Diffuse Vetiver Oil with Lavender Essential Oil to lessen stress and calm down emotions.
- Vetiver Oil is thicker to get out of the bottle. Use a toothpick to get the desired amount out of the container.
- Vetiver Oil blends well with other essential oils such as Lavender essential oil, Bergamot oil, Ginger essential oil, Lemongrass essential oil, Rose oil, Sandalwood essential oil, Lemon oil, Geranium oil.
I hope this post will be beneficial for you guys. Therefore, let us know your feedback in the comments below. We value our viewer’s feedback and query.