Importance of sleep:
Getting proper sleep is important for a person to maintain an optimally healthy life and overall well-being. In this article, I will share how you can get good sleep using essential oils. Arguably, sleep can have health benefits tantamount to exercise and a healthy diet. Modern-day cosmopolitan lifestyle does not always factor in the importance of good sleep. Nevertheless, it is important to make conscious efforts to maintain a good sleep balance. Some of the benefits associated with a good night’s sleep are:
- A good sleep schedule may positively correlate with increased productivity, concentration, and cognition in adults and children both.
- Even though, there is no scientific proof of the relationship between sleep and obesity. However, there are studies that suggest that lack of sleep is in link with a sedentary lifestyle. This lifestyle may be a contributor to weight gain.
- Research from the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America concludes that sleep patterns affect the hormonal balance required for appetite. If you are unable to take enough sleep, you might indulge in incorrect food intake.
- In order to consume enough calories for optimal performance, research from National Sleep Foundation suggests that athletes need to take adequate sleep between 7 to 9 hours.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also found in their research that getting adequate sleep can help in regulating blood pressure.
- According to a study by the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, an inverse relationship exists between sleeping hours and depression.
- Various studies suggest that proper sleep strengthens the immune system. Proper sleep repairs, regenerates, and recovers the immune system.
Remedies to improve sleep:
With our daily hustle to meet the ends, only a few are fortunate to have a good night’s sleep for an optimal amount of time. To its respite, one of the most effective natural ways to improve sleep patterns is essential oils.
You can use Essential oils by air diffusers or through steam, or by massaging with a carrier oil. Some of the best essential oils for proper sleep are as follows:
- Lavender Oil: Lavender oil is an effective solution for improper sleeping patterns. It is one of the most versatile essential oil. In Aromatherapy, you can keep insomnia under control by inhaling lavender oil. Studies suggest that it has relaxing properties. Therefore it reduces anxiety and stress, which is more often than not a reason for a night of disturbed sleep.
- Ylang Ylang Oil: Ylang Ylang oil is a product of Asian tropical trees with a fruity and pleasant scent. This oil calms the body by lowering blood pressure and heart rate and naturally helps the body to sleep.
- Chamomile Oil: Chamomile does not induce sleep but it affects the body rhythms by its cooling effect when applied externally. When used through an air diffuser, the subtle aroma calms and relaxes the mind.
- Peppermint Oil: Peppermint oil has strong properties like clearing the heart and increasing restfulness. It is the most effective remedy for seasonal or dust allergies. This oil can ease the manifestations of allergies when diffused into the air of the room. The relieving properties of peppermint oil relax the body and induce a satisfying sleep.
- Bergamot Oil: Bergamot oil is an all-around essential oil. With no exceptions, it helps in regulating sleep. Its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties reduce blood pressure, stress, and heart rate, which helps in relaxing the body to sleep. The usual intake method is through steam from a nasal passage.
- Sandalwood Oil: Sandalwood is known for its fragrance, however, it is a bit on the costlier side. It is one of the most effective essential oils in creating an aroma that puts one to sleep. Sandalwood oil has mood-balancing properties which have been seen to balance one’s emotional well-being. It is advisable to use sandalwood oil in preparing sleep blends.
- Cedarwood Oil: With its natural woody aroma, cedarwood has been found to be a good alternative to sandalwood. It is known to have stress-relieving and mood-balancing properties. It can be used both topically or through air diffusers.
- Marjoram Oil: The key differentiating feature of marjoram oil from other essential oils is its property to keep you asleep. Its sweet fragrance may have a soothing effect on the body both mentally and physically. The soothing effect of Marjoram oil helps the users achieve a night of deep and peaceful sleep. The effectiveness of Marjoram oil can be associated with the sweetness level. That means, the sweeter the oil, the better results.
- Vetiver Oil: Vetiver oil has a deep, earthly fragrance that has shown its effectiveness in achieving results for proper sleep. Emphatically vetiver oil can show significant results in relaxing the mind and calming your nerves. You can use Vetiver Oil aerially through air diffusers, however, it might be unsuitable for a few users. Furthermore, It is advisable to see if your body type is adaptable to vetiver oil.
- Valerian Oil: Valerian oil, with its calming properties, may help users in achieving a peaceful goodnight’s sleep. Henceforth it is no surprise that it is one of the most common ingredients in night teas. Consequently, it ensures that the users sleep and they achieve a good rapid eye movement (REM) sleep when they are doing so.
So there you are the best 10 oils for getting good sleep. These oils will help in inducing sleep and getting a night of good REM sleep. Nevertheless, it is prudent to mention that using essential oils might not be suitable for a few. You can also do a patch test before using them on regular basis. Every essential oil mentioned has a different purpose and one should use them in a personalized way to achieve the best results.