What is Melissa Essential Oil ( Lemon Balm )?
Melissa essential oil and Lemon balm are the same oil. Melissa Essential oil has a citrus fragrance which attracts bees. In Greek Melissa means honey bee. Furthermore, it is also popularly known as Sweet oil and Common oil. Melissa oil is the extract of the buds, flowers and leaves of Melissa plant and citronella plant from the steam distillation process.
Components of Melissa Essential Oil
Main components of Melissa oil are caryophyllene,
Location of Melissa plant
It is native to mainly South Central Europe, Central Asia, the Mediterranean Basin, Iran and in America.
Quality of Melissa Essential Oil
The leaves of Melissa plant ( maximum height is 70-150 cm ) has a mild lemon scent like mint leaves. It belongs to the mint family Lamiaceae. Therefore, In summer, it grows white flowers full of nectar which attracts bees. Because of this, leaves are used as herbs in beverages for favouring. Last but not least, it is grown to manufacture oil or for aromatherapy.
Properties of Melissa Oil
Melissa essential oil is one of the rarest and most expensive oils. First of all, it has various medicinal properties. such as Antibiotics, Antiviral, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory. However, it can help in health concerns like insomnia, migraines, diabetes, dementia, herpes and even depression.
Furthermore, it is popular as a flavouring agent in beverages. This is because of the sweet and citrus fragrance of Melissa oil. Because of its fragrance, it relaxes the body and reduces tension and nervousness. Melissa oil in a diffuser can help to promote good restful sleep. Furthermore, it also helps to enhance the immune system.
Thus people are cultivating Melissa plants for centuries due to its numerous advantages.
Benefits of Melissa Essential Oil
1. Can help in Alzheimer
Melissa Oil is researched the most because it can treat Alzheimer’s naturally. At Newcastle General Hospital Institute research was conducted to know the value of Melissa oil for people with major dementia. Around 70 patients were selected for Melissa treatment group. Out of the 60% of patients experienced a 30% reduction in agitation scores.
2. Supports in treatment of Herpes
Herpes is an infection caused by herpes simplex virus 1 and 2. It affects the skin and causes blisters, ulcers, cold sores, pain while urinating and vaginal discharge. Melissa oil has the ability to treat herpes naturally without any antibiotics. Therefore, Melissa Oil grows resistant bacteria in the body. It happens because of its antiviral and antimicrobial property. That’s why Melissa Oil can treat viruses of the
3. Gives relief in Pain
Melissa oil has anti-inflammatory property. Therefore, it has the ability to treat inflammation and pain. Melissa oil can be taken internally or can apply on skin. It can decrease swelling and can get relief from pain because of anti
4. Can fight infection
Melissa Oil has antimicrobial agents. It causes resistant bacterial strains and stops bacterial infections. It happens because it includes citral, citronellal and trans-caryophyllene compound.
5. Supports in treatment of Diabetes
Melissa Oil is an
7. Improves skin health
Melissa oil can treat acne, minor wounds, eczema because of anti-fungal properties. Furthermore, Eczema is a condition in which patches of skin become rough and have blisters. Firstly, apply Melissa oil directly to the skin. Thus it helps to clear up skin conditions caused by fungi or bacteria.
8. Contains Anti Tumor Agent
Various research studies conclude that Melissa essential oil can reduce human cancer cell. In 2014, it was found that Melissa oil has potential to treat tumours that arise from supportive brain tissues. Moreover, Melissa Oil and Citral reduces the viability with their antioxidant effects and depicts the
9. Can reduce PMS and menstrual symptoms
Melissa oil is effective in reducing PMS symptoms.
10. Can support in treatment of depression and anxiety
Melissa oil can treat depression and anxiety because of antidepressant, hypnotic and sedative properties. Therefore, it helps to build emotional balance and uplifts the mood.
11. Helps in reducing high blood pressure
Melissa Oil can maintain blood pressure. This is because, it has anti-hyperlipidemic, hypotensive, neuroprotective, antiarrhythmic and hepatoprotective properties. Therefore, these all properties help to lower blood pressure according to past studies.
12. Helps in lowering Triglyceride Levels
According to nutritionists, Melissa oil has a metabolic effect. It can reduce the level of triglyceride. Even in another research
How to Use Melissa Essential
- Depression: Melissa essential oil can be applied on forehead, shoulders or chest to reduce anxiety and to balance emotions.
- Insomnia: It encourages sleep. Therefore, diffuse Melissa essential oil night to develop an environment to sleep.
- Skin condition: Add Melissa oil in moisturizer or in spray water and sprinkle on the face for the refreshing skin.
- Dementia : Diffuse Melissa Essential Oil on regular basis. Or Inhale oil directly from bottle.
- Treatment for Cold Sores and Herpes: Apply 2-3 drops of Melissa essential oil to the concerned area.
- Hypoglycemia: Take a few drops in water or tea internally to have better glucose level in the body.
- Vertigo and, Hypertension and Nervousness: Apply few drops to the back of the
neckor ears to remove nausea, dizziness, nervousness and vomiting sensation. Or take a few drops internally by adding it in water or tea.
- Keep away from children.
- Consult doctor or physician if you are pregnant, nursing or under care.
- Avoid eyes contact, inner ears and sensitive areas.
- Blend Melissa essential oil with Lavender Essential Oil, Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil, Frankincense Essential Oil , Rose Essential Oil, Roman Chamomile Essential Oil, Geranium Essential Oil.
- If you have sensitive skin then before applying Melissa essential oil, dilute it with a carrier oil ( Jojoba oil or coconut oil ).
- Melissa Essential Oil is one of the expensive and rare oil. If you need good quality, 100 per
- Do read the label carefully and buy from a reputable company. It is important if you are buying it for internal use.